Sri Lanka Quarantine Hotels FAQ 2021
Last Update on June 17, 2021
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about quarantine hotels and quarantine laws in Sri Lanka.
01. What is the quarantine requirement for tourists coming to Sri Lanka?
There will be no restrictive quarantine requirement for tourists, however, they will be placed under the safety of a ‘bio bubble’.
02. What is bio bubble travel in Sri Lanka?
This is a concept created to allow safe traveling for tourists while separating them from locals. The tourists will be placed in a bio bubble safety for the first 14 days (13 nights), where they will be given permission to stay at a ‘Safe & Secure’ certified Level 1 hotel and travel to approved tourist attractions in the country.
03. Is there a mandatory minimum stay?
No minimum number of days is required for a stay.
04. How do I apply for a tourist visa?
All visas must be applied through a government-designated ‘Safe & Secure’ Travel Agent or government-designated ‘Safe & Secure’ certified Level 1 hotel
You can Contact Us at Olanka Travels, to help you with your visa process.
05. Can tourists from any country come to Sri Lanka?
Travelers from all over the world are welcome unless otherwise specified. Currently due to the prevailing health situation visitors from India and Vietnam will have a restriction.
You can read the most updated list on the Sri Lankan government website, using the link : www.epid.gov.lk
06. Do I need COVID-19 insurance?
Your ‘Safe & Secure’ certified Travel Agent or the hotel, will arrange it for you. As a tourist/traveler, you are not required to take any action.
07. Is it required to test for COVID-19 on arrival to Sri Lanka?
The initial requirement is that you should have a negative PCR test done, from an accredited laboratory, within 72 hours prior to boarding the flight. The negative test report should be produced to the airport officials. Thereafter, before checking in to the pre-confirmed hotel, your first PCR test in the country, will be done in the hotel premises.
08. Is the PCR requirement applicable for children?
Infants, under the age of 2, will need not be tested.
Children between the ages of 2-12 will be required to undergo the exit PCR test when they go out of the bio bubble.
09. If I am vaccinated, do I still need to do PCR tests on arrival?
Currently, there are no exceptions. Irrespective of being vaccinated, all safety protocols should be adhered to by tourists.
10. What is the quarantine process for Sri Lankans with international passports?
In case, you are going ahead with the bio bubble route, you will have to adhere to the same rules and regulations as for the tourists. If not, Olanka Travels can book you your quarantine hotel package, as we have a variety of hotel options for you and your family. We will be taking care of your visa, accommodation, meals, transport, medical officer exit certificate, & other government documentation from the airport to the hotel and hotel to your home.
11. What is the quarantine process for Sri Lankans with Sri Lankan passports?
If you are a Sri Lankan with a Sri Lankan passport, you have two options to select.
Either you can enter Sri Lanka via the government-designated route of hotels or you can use the tourist route, under the safety of the bio bubble.
Eitherway, Olanka Travels can book you your quarantine hotel package, as we have a variety of hotel options for you and your family. We will be taking care of your visa, accommodation, meals, transport, medical officer exit certificate, & other government documentation from the airport to the hotel and hotel to your home.
12. Do I have to make a booking before I come for my holiday?
Yes. It is necessary to have a pre-confirmed booking at a ‘Safe & Secure’ Level 1 hotel, up to 14 days, depending on the duration of the stay. This is mandatory for your visa.
13. What are the documents I need to carry before I being my travel?
- Copy of your ETA Visa (printed preferred)
- Return Air ticket details
- Accommodation confirmation letter by your certified travel agent or certified hotel
- Confirmation of PCR & Coivd 19 Health Insurance Payment Document by your certified Travel Agent or Hotel
- Contact Details of Your certified driver or guide who will be picking you up at the airport.
14. What is a ‘Safe & Secure' Certified hotel?
The specialty of these hotels is that they comply with the A COVID-19 Health Protocols and the Tourism Operational Guidelines. The hotels have been subjected to an audit by an independent firm and will be continually assessed.
15. What is a Level 1 ‘Safe & Secure' certified hotel?
These hotels provide accommodation services only for tourists during the first 14 days (13 nights) of their stay. They are not permitted to accept bookings from locals and not allowed to hold any events or banquet functions for locals.
16. What are the most popular hotels?
The following hotels are the top 10 ‘Safe & Secure’ Level 1 certified hotels,
- Taprobana Wadduwa - 4 Star
- Amari Galle - 5 Star
- Taj Bentota Resort & Spa - 5 Star
- Heritance Ahungalla - 5 -Star
- Jetwing Lagoon - 4 Star
- Sooriya Resort and Spa - 4 Star
- Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa - 5 Star
- Fresco Water Villa - 3 Star
- Thaulle Resort - 3 Star
- ME Colombo - 3 Star
Olanka Travels has the best prices for the above Sri Lanka Quarantine hotels and many other quarantine hotels. Please Contact Us for more information.
17. What is the quarantine law in Sri Lanka?
The quarantine law for tourists arriving in Sri Lanka is that they should adhere to the given entry requirements and stay in the safety of the bio bubble for the first 14 days. More details about these requirements can be read using the following link.
18. How do I book a quarantine hotel in Sri Lanka?
You can directly contact the hotel and place a booking or you can get in touch with a travel agent like Olanka travels to help you with it.
19. How much is a quarantine hotel in Sri Lanka?
The average cost of a ‘Safe & Secure’ Level 1 hotel would be 65-120 USD per night for two people.
20. Can I choose my quarantine hotel in Sri Lanka?
Yes. However, you should select a hotel listed under the government-designated, ‘Safe & Secure’ certified Level 1 hotel list. There are close to 100 Sri Lankan Quarantine Hotels around the country (Last Update: 2021 June 16). You can contact the Olanka Travels Team to find out the most suitable Sri Lankan quarantine hotel offer for you.
21. How will I get to my hotel?
You can request the hotel itself to arrange transportation from the airport or you can contact a travel agent like Olanka Travels to arrange it for you.
22. What kind of tests will be done before I can go to my hotel?
All tourists will undergo non-intrusive temperature checks and general health protocols at the airport and before entering the hotel.
23. Are there medical services available at my hotel?
Yes. There will be an especially appointed medical officer in each of the ‘Safe & Secure’ certified hotels.
24. Can I use all the hotel facilities?
Yes. Tourists can use all hotel facilities like the gym, swimming pool, spa, etc.
25. Can I use public transportation during my visit?
During the first 14 days, you will not be allowed to use public transportation. However, once you are released from the safety of the bio bubble, you may.
26. Can I visit tourist attractions and sites in Sri Lanka?
While in the bio-bubble, tourists can visit approved tourist sites, adhering to general health protocols.
27. What happens if someone is tested positive for COVID-19 with symptoms?
The medical officer at the hotel will contact the local authorities, and the patient will be admitted to a private hospital approved by the Ministry of Health.
28. What happens if someone is COVID-19 positive and non-symptomatic?
The patient will be quarantined in an isolated area in the same hotel, under the strict supervision of the hotel doctor and local health authorities. If the symptoms do occur, they will be transferred to a private hospital approved by the Ministry of Health.